Monday, July 25, 2011

Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days Of Summer

(No picture. 
I wish I had a picture. 
It certainly would have made a good picture.) 

When we're not camping and it's triple digits outside, we tend to go a little stir crazy around here. 
One day last week, I walked into my bedroom and heard screaming coming from my bathroom.  The door was locked.  Upon breaking in, I found Gary, tied to a chair with green yarn.

What the heck? 

WHAT THE HECK!!! 

WHO DID THIS?!?! 

Father was immediately called in to mete out appropriate decades of room time to the guilty Samuel and Eden because I was way beyond speech.

Quite a hefty chunk of time into their sentence, I noticed that Samuel was pouting unduly. 

What is wrong dear?  You tied up your brother and locked him in the bathroom.  Did you not expect to get into trouble for this?

"Mom, he WANTED us to do it!" 

Hm.  That's a new one. 

"He wanted to see if he could get out."

A tiny bell went off in my head.  I faintly remembered having a casual conversation with Samuel earlier that week about Houdini. 

Maybe there was some truth to this story. 

Maybe we had been hasty in our horror. 

Grounding was rescinded with extracted promises that if Houdini starts screaming, you have to help him.  And you can't just go play once you've tied someone up. 

So the next day, Gary/Houdini is calmly and willingly being tied to a chair again.  He is, surprisingly, actually worming his little wrists out of the green yarn knots. 

Chad comes into the kitchen and sees what's happening.  He thunders over to them, "Samuel!  Good Grief!  If you are going to tie someone up, you can't do it like that!  You have to tie their wrists independently!  Let me show you."

So, if anyone would like to practice their knot-tying skills, or has an old trunk, or a straight-jacket lying around, we are all into summer fun around here. 

I actually think we'd better go camping again before I need that straight-jacket myself.  Ta ta.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Cinnamon!! i guess i can be grateful that school starts in 2 weeks for my kids :). Keep up the great job of being mom!! there is nothing else like it in the world!

    ReplyDelete