Saturday, August 29, 2009

Music Week, Day 5

Today is another Jessica Harper, because I like her. I think her music is described as "children's", but I call it "Mommy Music" because I like it as much, if not more, than the kids. I wish I knew how to put it on here so you could hear it. I just attempted to find a blog-able version of this song, and instead found that it has been made into a children's book! Neat! Also, I appologize that there are no pictures with today's post. I could take appropriate pictures and stick them in, but three kids are sleeping, one is at a football game, one is in the bathtub, and the last one is doing his jobs and I do not wish to disturb him.

Update: Samuel had his stay-up night tonight, and I told him of my delima. He thought it sounded like fun to illustrate this song, so we got the camera out and went to town.

Lizzie’s Do’s and Don’ts
by Jessica Harper

(Mom)
It seemed to Lizzie, all her mother ever said was “Don’t!”
Don’t shout indoors.
Don’t tickle so hard.
Don’t leave your party shoes in the yard.
Don’t take the deck, and loose one card.
Don’t. Don’t. Don’t
Don’t climb in trees containing bees.

[Oh, and I remembered that Gary had conveniently gotten stung by an actual bee today, and his little hand is still pink and swollen,(do you think that means he's allergic?) so I took it's picture. Is that callous or what!? He didn't mind.]


Don’t put ten band aids on your knees.
Don’t cut your hair, don’t argue please.
“Don’t. Don’t. Don’t.
Don’t try to reach what’s out of reach.
Don’t feed the kitty cat a peach.
Don’t bring the sand home from the beach.
Don’t. Don’t. Don’t.
Don’t hold your breath till you turn blue.


Don’t lick the dog though he licks you.

(Ew Mom! I actually licked her!)
Don’t keep your lizard in my shoe.
Don’t. Don’t. Don’t."

(Lizzie)
“Ok, ok ok ok!” Said Lizzie, “It’s MY turn!”
“Don’t say I can’t do so much stuff.
Don’t huff and puff. Don’t act too tough.
Don’t say two chocolates are enough.
Don’t. Don’t. Don’t.
Don’t make me wear that yellow dress.

(his dad said, "Son, some things you just have to say 'no' to.")

Don’t always say my hair’s a mess.


Don’t say no when you could say yes.
Don’t. Don’t. Don’t.
Don’t hide my candy way up high.
Don’t put nuts in the apple pie.
When I ask why, don’t frown and sigh.
Don’t. Don’t. Don’t.
Don’t say to me, ‘You should have known.’
Don’t chat, chat, chat on the telephone.


Don’t lick too much of my ice cream cone.
Don’t. Don’t. Don’t.”

(Mom)
Ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok,” said Lizzie’s mom.
The word ‘don’t’ is a tiresome thing to say!
They thought about it for a little while
Then Lizzie said:

(Lizzie)
"Do hold me close when I am scared
Do teach me how to be prepared
Do take my bike to get repaired.


Do. Do. Do.
Do help me dress up like a wizard.
Do take me sledding in a blizzard.
Do please let me keep the lizard.
Do. Do. Do.
Do tell a fairy tail to me.
Do rock me gently on your knee.
Do because I love you, yes I
Do. Do. Do."

(Mom)
Then Lizzie’s mother smiled and said,
“OK, now, it’s my turn.
Do climb a tree high as you dare
Do put some daisies in your hair

(How he really felt about it)


Do tell me when life seems unfair,
Do. Do. Do.
Do be glad or mad or sad
Do wear pink polka dots with plaid
Do tell some secrets to your dad,


Do. Do. Do.
Do help me zipper up my dress
Do tell me if my hair’s a mess


Do ask me if I love you, yes I
Do. Do. Do.
Do ask me if I love you.
Do you love me?
Yes, I love you.
(Lizzie and her mom)
Do ask me if I love you, yes I
Do. Do. Do.

1 comment:

  1. the more you post...
    the more I love you!

    Such an amazing woman, Mother, blogger... and you still have time for date nights and being a loving wife.

    ToOdLeS.

    ReplyDelete